July 9, 2011

Antique Mirror...Prima style

Before I get into my project post, I want to let ya'll know that YMH is letting customers to pre-order a grab box as it were of NEW Prima goodness that will be released at the Summer CHA show. Kristina has three sizes of boxes that will hold a range of Prima goodies and even an option to get your goodies from just one collection. Be sure to place ya'll Prima Pre-Order soon (shipping on them won't happen until late August to mid September.

I've got another Live with Prima inspired project for ya'll today. This one is inspired by Julie's Antique frame show on June 20th. I really like how she used a Prima stencil to transfor a plain wooden from into a work of art. Of course this meant I had to try it too, but since I am more of a silver person I tweaked it some. Before I worked on the frame I bought a cheap wooden oval (under $1) from Michael's to test wether I wanted white or black gesso as my base. (You'll see what I am going to do with the oval next week). The test revealed that a black base still works the best with the silver, so off I went making an antique, punch metal inspired frame for a cheap mirror from Micheale's. I left the mirror in when I took the picture and that resulted in seeing me, the camera, and the sticky-note. I am really happy with the end product and so glad I decided to try out the technique Julie showed us :) Drying time between the different coats took the longest time, but using a heat gun does spead it up.

I used some seam binding and twine to wrap around the frame in the corner and the bow. I secured the ribbon on the back with Helmar's 450 quick dry glue. A great thing about Prima's vines is that it doesn't take much make a project shine. It was tacked down with Helmar's 450 too. I sprayed a white Prima flower with several differnt colors of TA's Glimmer Mist to match it as close as I could to the purple-y color flower at the top of the vine for the center of the bow and glued it to the center of the bow with Helmar's 450 (gotta love this stuff).

I couldn't let this sweet frame be complete without a sweet little butterfly. I took one of Prima's Vlinder butterflies and several colors of Glimmer Mist again and colored the butterfly to match a little more. After it was dried, I then took some TA's Chandiler Glitter Glam and painted the butterfly with it to really shine. I attached this little beauty with Helmar's scrapdots to help it lift off from behind the vine.

Finally, here's a shopt of the detail of the frame itself. I used Prima's Stencil Mask Set, Sublime Mix Screens - Mix 3 for the details. I believe Julie used gesso to cover the screen with, but I found some molding paste (with a 40% off coupon) and used that instead. Once the molding paste was dried I brushed on some silver paint making sure to at least cover all of the white paste. When I was happy with that (and I did paint the edges too) I too some very watered down balck paint (like shown in the video) and washed it over the silver. It dulled it down and even puddled in parts. I love how forgiving this was. And if I didn't like it I could just paint over it or even wipe it up if it wasn't dry yet.